Sunday, August 15, 2010

day 84, Newport, WASHINGTON! (40 miles)





Our last state!

Threw the shifter into high gear and made it thru Idaho in a little over 24 hrs. Sounds impressive until you take a close look at a map.

A nice tail wind today made the ride to just inside the WA state border fairly easy. Met 2 other cyclists near Round Lake State Park,ID who had started near Seattle. We had the usually exchange of route tips, and learned that they would be finishing in Whitefish, MT where they would be boarding Amtrak and paying all of $15 to transport their bikes back with them. We considered taking the train back but the 4+ day ride didn't appeal to us (maybe so if we could afford the sleeping berth).

Camping at the "Hilton" of campgrounds tonight in Newport. For $16 we get our site, outdoor hot tub, showers, laundry, and some nice RV neighbors from British Columbia who put our 2 cans of beer in their freezer for an hour. They say good freezers make good neighbors....

4 comments:

  1. I have just finished catching up on your blog. I am in awe over the whole adventure. I would love the opportunity to pick your brains for hours upon hours. Do you ever come this way? If you could fit it in your busy schedules I'd love to give you sleeping quarters and milk shakes, in exchange for more pictures and tales. Enjoy your stay in WA. I did not enjoy the weather in Tacoma the two years I was there in the late fifties(I'm dating myself..) I would love to befriend you on Facebook...Love, Aunt Mary in NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly concur with the above comment. You do indeed ROCK, "Battisti Tandem Team"! What an inspiring voyage of adventure by a terrific couple.
    Love, Eric L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the hot tub was well deserved!! Too bad you couldnt relax in one each night. I'm sure you bones would have liked that. -Melanie Porter

    ReplyDelete